Joshua Tree National Park is an amazing place to visit. I enjoyed hiking during my time at Joshua Tree. I hope you enjoy the list of hikes I did while there. Read on to find out about my favorite hikes.Read More
Park City has so much to see. If you visit don’t forget to duck away to enjoy nature sites…Read More
Fiji...can I just say we should all go visit and be done with this post? 😂
Fiji has so many things to offer...every water sport known to man, crystal blue water, pristine beaches, picturesque waterfalls, and so much more. Read on to find out about several of the activities available on the island.
(Courtesy of Marriott)
Visit the Island of Taveuni
On the island of Taveuni you will find the Bouma National Heritage Park. This location offers snorkeling in Waitabu Marine Park, hiking through Vidawa Rain Forest (complete with ancient ruins), exploration of Tavoro Waterfall Trail's three sets of waterfall cascades, bird watching, or views of wildlife. Make sure you don't miss going on the Lavena Coastal Walk; this is a hiking trail that leads tourists along the coast, through the rainforest, and then to a stunningly beautiful hidden waterfall.
Visit the Coral Coast
Enjoy looking at the scenic coastline, which gets its name from the coral offshore, while you enjoy other regional activities. Make sure you go for a dive in Beqa Lagoon, take in the views at Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park, explore Namosi Highlands, or wander around Tavuni Hill Fort. Also available in this region is Kula Eco Park...here you can see wildlife, learn about the flora and fauna, go ziplining, and enjoy a water slide.
Visit Kadavu Island
Here you can admire the Great Astrolabe Reef, one of the largest barrier reefs in the world by taking part in reef diving or snorkeling. Sailing, fishing, kayaking, and hiking are also popular on this island. Away from the coasts, you will find tropical rainforests in the middle of Kadavu.
Take day trip(s) to the Lau Islands
Swim, snorkel, or dive in the water; and hike the interiors to see tropical foliage.
Visit Viti Levu
Head to Natadola Beach to find a white sand beach that meets crystal blue waters. You can sunbathe, kayak, surf, snorkel, or swim (regardless of the tide). While on Viti Levu, also make sure to hike through Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park for amazing views of forest and meadows before reaching the dunes. Sleeping Giant Zipline, which has 10 separate ziplines, or Orchid Falls and Jungle Safari, with four waterfalls and wild birds among tropical foliage, are additional activities available on Viti Levu.
Visit Sabeto Hot Springs and Mud Pool
On the way to Sabeto Hot Springs you will enjoy a scenic drive past several local villages. Upon arrival you can also enjoy a massage before or after soaking in the Hot Springs.
Visit Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple
This is the largest Hindu temple in the southern hemisphere; it is composed of three sections dedicated to Murugan, Ganesh, Meenakshi, and Shiva. Admire the wooden statues of the deities, brought over from India, and the ceiling frescoes, created by artisans in India. Please dress conservatively and remove your shoes before entering the temple
Visit the Church of Saint Francis Xavier.
This church features European architecture, an unusual find here. The frescoed interior also makes for a stunning attraction. Take note of the fact that congregants sit or kneel on woven grass mats, as is the custom in Fiji.
Visit the Garden of the Sleeping Giant.
Stroll through orchids, past lily ponds, and bamboo before enjoying a complimentary afternoon tea.
Visit Shark Reef Marine Reserve
Get up close and personal with sharks; or go on wreck dives or reef dives.
Sail to the islands of Mololo Lailai, Tavarua, Nomoto, and the outer reef
Along the way enjoy snorkeling in Musket Cove sand quay, swim, stroll along beaches, and enjoy a barbeque lunch.
Enjoy some time shopping
Handmade items can be found at La Galerie Fiji or at Nadi Handcraft Market. (If you plan to take wooden objects back home, the wood must have been treated before boarding your return flight.)
Depart from Denarau Port on a cruise
Cruise through the Blue Lagoons and the Mamanuca Islands. Upon reaching Schooner Island, a private and uninhabited island, you can snorkel, go scuba diving, or enjoy a massage before lunch. After lunch you will sail back to Denarau Port.
As you can see there are so many fun things to do on the islands of Fiji. Let me know what all you end up doing if you travel to Fiji. I, for one, am excited to do all the activities above, plus canoeing and white-water rafting.
(Courtesy of Conde Nast)
- Make sure you talk to someone, preferably on the phone, who has been on the safari you are looking at before booking. If using a booking agent, make sure they have been to places they are recommending. Choose your guide carefully as they will make or break the experience
- Find out about altitudes before you go. Some can take you up in higher altitudes and you don't want to get altitude sickness.
- Decide what wildlife you would like to see. Different safaris see different animals, often varying by region.
- Try to tip the same as the other tourists.
- Make sure you are staying hydrated. Dehydration is serious and you don't want it ruining your safari. Also important is making sure you consume enough electrolytes to balance what you lose. Sports drinks are recommended.
- Always shake your shoes out in the morning before you put them on.
- Carry wet wipes for dust; and hemorrhoid cream for bug bites.
- Make sure binoculars are the first thing you pack, preferably with image stabilization. The more magnification, the heavier and more costly the binoculars will be.
- Take advantage of communal dining. This will give you a chance to talk with guides and learn more.
- Gaze at the stars at night. I guarantee you will get a view like you have never seen.