I don't know if you know anything about Greece, beyond the fact that it is comprised of several islands, but there is so much to see in a location that has mythological, archeological, historic, artistic, and philosophic influences. So are you planning your trip to Greece and wondering what you should do there? Well keep reading to find out what is on my bucket list for when I finally go to Greece.
- Visit Santorini. The architecture here, with the white buildings with blue rooftops is amazing!!! With buildings that contrast so well with the sea, it is no wonder people flock to Santorini to enjoy a view whose formations was aided by the help of a volcano.
(Courtesy of USA Today)
- Tour the Acropolis. The Acropolis used to be the site of the famous statue of Athena, goddess of Athens. The columns and the glittering marble of the Parthenon are a sight to behold.
- Climb Mount Olympus. If Greek mythology fascinates you then you won't want to miss coming here. Mythology asserts that Zeus' throne was here, and this is also where Hades ruled in the Underworld. Few places are as steeped in mythology as Mount Olympus is.
- Visit Lake Plastira. Lake Plastira is surrounded by trees and offers activities such as, rafting, canoeing, hiking, and horse rides.
- Wander around the Acropolis Museum. The museum is known for its cafe and terrace that overlooks the Acropolis.
- Tour Epidaurus Theater. This theater is dedicated to the god of medicine, Asclepius.
- Visit the Delphi. People used to travel here to pay homage to Apollo, god of healing, music, prophecy, and light. Today there are temples and ancient ruins.
- Hike the Samaria Gorge. This site is on the island of Crete and is a stunning site to behold.
- Spelunking at Melissani Cave.
- Head to Hephaestus Temple. This temple is dedicated to Hephaestus, god of fire, and Athena, goddess of pottery and other crafts.
- Visit Corinth Canal. Here you can go on the Zulu Bungy Jump to see the canal in all its majesty.
- Travel to the monasteries of Meteora. These monasteries are atop of rock formations.
- Take in the history when you visit Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki.
- See the sites in ancient Corinth.
- Visit Phaestos and enjoy the stunning vistas it has to offer.
- Travel to Ancient Mycenae. This location is famous due to Homer's the Iliad and the Odyssey. Sites to see in the area include Agamemnon Palace, Lion Gate, the Great Court, and the royal cemetery.
- Learn more about the Holocaust at Museum Of The Kalavryta Holocaust. This is the only Holocaust museum in Greece; it honors those who were victims of the genocide perpetrated by the Nazis.
- Travel to Mount Athos. 20 monasteries can be seen on its slopes; but the monasteries can only be visited by men.
- Visit the Palace of Malia.
- Enjoy Balos Beach. Spend some time surfing here or explore the many lagoons that open up to jet blue water where fish can be seen. Sunbathing is also a popular past time here.
- Go to Museum of the Olive and Greek Olive Oil.
- Wander around the Museum of Contemporary Art. In a country so full of ancient history, it is fun to see more modern works.
- Enjoy time sunbathing at Psarou Beach. This beach, in Mykonos, is one of the most famous, and has many restaurants along the beach.
- Visit the Vergina Royal Tombs Museum. Phillip II tomb is here, as well as items he was buried with.
- Hike Corfu Trail. The landscape and views along this trail are breathtaking.